Losing calcium. Diagnosed with hypokalemia. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my mother is currently in hospital. she is losing potassium quickly. the doctor has diagnosed her with hypokalemia. she has been hooked to potassium for 2hours. they unhooked her and tested her blood about 40min later and she have loss what they put in. I am confused.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The decrease in the potassium levels that your mother is having can be due to
1. Use of certain hypertensives called diuretics
2. Nebulisations for asthma
3. Post dialysis
4. Potassium losing nephropathy
5. Low potassium intake
6. Dehydration
7. Elderly people
8. Insulin infusion for uncontrolled diabetes
It takes some time for all the electrolytes to correct once there is an imbalance. She needs regular potassium levels monitoring and potassium therapy according to the levels detected. Please do not worry as this is not a life threatening situation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.