Losing balance while walking. Diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Medication and diet advice?

My father aged 80 years is recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
He loses balance while walking and is having weakness on 1 side, tries to speed up while walking.
During sleep , he sees lots of dreams and tells absurd things, he wakes up and sometimes acts insane. But very normal behaviour in morning and daytime.
What is reason for his erratic behaviour at night ?
Require some mild medications for Parkinsons disease and also medical advice for fooding and other regular habits , considering his advanced old age.Medicines with minimum side effects is solicited please and some tonic for brain.

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query

Regarding the presence of features of parkinsonism, abnormal falls and weakness of one side of the body probably indicated Idiopathic parkinsonism with damage to the left side of the brain due to sub dural hematoma or a secondary parkinsonsims. He might benefit with treatment for the parkinsonism and gait therapy.

He needs a small dose of Syndopa only to improve his gait. But the problem with this medicine is it worsens the dreams or hallucinations in him. He might also need a small dose of antipsychotics like quitiapine to control his dreams in sleep. In addition he also needs evaluation from a neurologist for a possibility of recurrent subdural hematoma and hyponatremeia.

I personally feel he might benefit from small of antipsychotics and syndopa under the supervision of a neurologist. He requires gait therapy to prevent falls. It is better to use a walking stick to prevent falls. I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.