Lose motions. Taken daroloc. Would you suggest any other medication?

Question
My daughter 5 years old. We went to a resort yesterdy. It was very hot. After coming back, she had loose motions twice but she is okay otherwise. Should we give her any medicine. We have given only daroloc XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 12 hours later
Hi

Loose stools in a frequency of twice a day is okay. If the frequency is more than thrice a day or the consistency is watery or very loose, then it can be called diarrhea.

You may wait for now.

Darolac is a probiotic and it can be given safely twice a day. In case she develops more frequent loose stools, the following information will be of help.

Usual cause of diarrhea in children is viral. So our aim is to prevent dehydration. Antibiotics are not needed. Mostly viral diarrhea will be associated with fever and vomiting. In such a case, she might need medications for that. Kids get okay by 4 to 5 days.

To prevent dehydration, give her plenty of fluids like ORS, plain water, vegetable soups, porridge, Rice based food, Banana, potatoes, Bread toast and plenty of curd(Yogurt). Its better to avoid milk and juices.
Be sure she drinks well and passes urine adequately (atleast 4 to 5 times in a day).

But at any point of time, she is dull or very tired, her urine frequency is very less, she has repeated vomiting, has high grade fever, refuses to eat/ drink, has abdominal pain or you see blood in stools- please do not hesitate to visit a doctor immediately.

Hope my answer helps you.
In case you have further queries, please do ask. I will be happy to help you.
Best wishes.