Lose leg strength, gets shaky after snow mowing. Is this a vascular problem?

My job involves work like snow plowing or riding a riding mower for long periods of time..Every time I plow snow in the truck for a few hours or ride a riding mower and then try to stand up..litterally i lose 90% of my leg strength for the rest of the day..They are extremelly weak and shaky..Sometimes it feels like I can Hardly stand because of the lose of stength...It feels like I lose My strength,Legs are shaky for hours after,..My gait is off..and my coordination is effected for hours afterward..all because I sat and Plowed or sat and cut grass for a extended period of time..Please explain what is going on..I have had this for years ..I have already been to a Neurosurgeon and they have taken MRIS of my complete spine and they say they cant see any pressure on my nerves...Something is effecting my nerves somewhere I would think because of the loss of strength ,leg shakkiness,..and gait and coordination being effected...please help me ..This is a Nightmare..Could this be a vascular problem in my legs causing this ?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Loss of strength in legs after sitting for long is most likely related to the nerve compression. Vascular problems are not likely to cause such symptoms.
Since on doing MRI no nerve compression was found , it is likely that the compression is related to your posture.
Avoid sitting on any hard surfaces for long and try to stroll for a while after every half an hour. You can also get some methylcobalamin supplements prescribed from your doctor.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Lose leg strength, gets shaky after snow mowing. Is this a vascular problem? 15 hours later
My lower back posture kinda looks like my back is sunken in kinda like a empty salad curves in while my stomach muscles are stretched out leaving me with a belly even though I lift weights and my chest is strong nothing i do strengthens my stomach muscles for the added support I need...Can lossing strength in the stomach cause such a loss of back support that my vertebrea in my back are stressed to the point of aggravating the nerve..And why cant any compression be seen in a Mri?...I had a EMG done on my legs and the doctor said I had some nerve damage from my back surgery in 2005..But I told him that I have had these symptoms long before the 2005 Back surgery........Also I had a mylegram done where they inject XXXXXXX in my spine for the scan..I actually had strength Return to my legs fully(I actually felt normal first time in 10 Years)Why is this?..Please help me witha answer I have been going to doctors for years..and this year has been the worst ever..My wife has ovarian cancer and she needs me to be strong for her..Its kinda hard to be when It feels like I am Going paraylzed from the waist down.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I can understand your concern.
Your MRI is normal which suggests that there is no structural abnormality. The excessive curve of your sacrum might be responsible for compressing the nerves when you sit but this curve is not likely to be because of the protruded belly that you have. Losing some weight will be helpful if you are overweight.
If injection of XXXXXXX has caused return of full strength then decreased CSF might be a possible cause. The extra fluid injected acted as a cushion and relieved the nerve compression. You can consider taking epidural steroid injections under your orthopedician's guidance for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Follow-up: Lose leg strength, gets shaky after snow mowing. Is this a vascular problem? 13 hours later
What could be the reason (if reduced CSF Pressure is my Problem)why I have reduced csf pressure..What could be some of the Diseases or traumas for such a thing to occur..And How could i correct this problem if it is found..Is there any particular tests i should ask for?..Thankyou for answering these questions I have...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Reduced CSF pressure happens due to CSF leak. This can be due to a medical procedure or spontaneous leak. Taking plenty of fluids orally helps in mild cases.
Various medical imaging technologies exist to assist in identifying the cause of decreased ICP. You can consult a neurologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. Various medical treatments have been proposed; only the intravenous administration of caffeine and theophylline has shown to be particularly useful