Loosing hairs for last some time and used Mintop hair oil. Black marks on nose, skin is sometimes oily and dry. Reason?

Loosing hairs for last some time & used Mintop hair oil but not get much effect.

Having black XXXXXXX on nose, skin sometime seems to be dry & some time oily
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I see that you are having hair loss and it is troubling you. I need some more details about the hair fall.
Is it patchy or patterned like from the frontal area of scalp and the vertex or from all over the scalp ?
How long you have been having hair fall?
Did the hair fall start abruptly or was it gradual?
Approximately how many hairs fall per day?
If the hair fall is from all over the scalp did you have any recent episodes of physical stress like disease or accidents or mental stress 3 to 4 months prior to hair fall?
How long you have been using Mintop solution and what is the percentage of Mintop that you use?

Black marks on the nose, sometimes dry, some times oily could be due to seborrhoeic dermatitis, or melasma. If you could upload photographs of the nose and scalp it would help. You have an option to upload pictures.

I will be able to help you as soon as you give me the details mentioned above.
Follow-up: Loosing hairs for last some time and used Mintop hair oil. Black marks on nose, skin is sometimes oily and dry. Reason? 1 hour later
it's being an year now for the hair fall
it's gradually i think
now a days it's bit less earlier it was quite high around 100 a day
Stress is not to much but seems to be a part of lifestyle now a days :)
I haven't use mintop very regularly 2 months in the starting around 6 to 8 months back 2% then recently for 15 days 10%

Photos uploaded in the tool
Thanks for the details and the photographs.
Your scalp has less dense hair over the front and middle areas and dense hair over the back and sides. There is also a frontal recession from both sides. This looks like male pattern baldness. The exact mode of inheritance is not known. You might wonder why you got it in spite of my parents not being bald. It is still possible. Even though it looks like baldness in the picture, a face to face consultation with dermatologist and trichoscope examination will confirm the diagnosis.

Mintop is Minoxidil and 5% solution 1ml twice a day is the dosage. It is a US FDA approved medicine for baldness. Even though 10% is not approved it is widely used by dermatologists for quicker action or for once a day application. 1O% might cause irritation in some. 2% is used for female pattern baldness.

Even though Minoxidil works, you should give minimum of 3 months to notice any benefit. First sign of improvement will be decrease in the number of hair falling. Then existing hair can grow thicker and even new hairs can develop.

Another treatment, which is approved and works for baldness is finasteride 1mg. These two are prescription drugs and need dermatologist's prescription to procure. You should continue minoxidil till it is OK for you to bald gracefully as it is not curative. Baldness is in your genes and treatment just halts the process.

Picture of the nose lacks clarity and I consider possibility of Melasma and Seborrhoeic melanosis. Another possibility is pigmentary demarcation line. A face to face consultation and close examination by a dermatologist will help to diagnose.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Take care.
Follow-up: Loosing hairs for last some time and used Mintop hair oil. Black marks on nose, skin is sometimes oily and dry. Reason? 2 days later
Thanks Doctor, I have seen some improvement after using Mintop will try Mintop 5%, As you mentioned it is not curative, how long we can halt the process.

Also, what will be the treatment for the black XXXXXXX
Good to hear that you got improvement with minoxidil. The process of baldness is halted by minoxidil and finasteride at the level of the hair follicle and not at the genetic level. So as long as you continue the treatment you can halt the process. Once you stop the treatment your genes will take over once again and the baldness process will resume. Usually hair fall will decrease in 3 months, then slowly the thinned hair will become thicker and at last even new hairs might grow. This is subjective and varies from person to person. It is advisable to consult your physicians or the Dermatologist and watch the progress of symptoms.

Black XXXXXXX over the nose needs a face to face closer examination by a dermatologist to diagnose the condition. Face wash containing Salicylic acid 1-2% twice a day and gel containing Kojic acid at night will help for both seborrhoeic melanosis and melasma.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.