Loosing hair and had bald spot. Diagnosed with it is alopecia. Treatment for the spots?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doctor

I was loosing my hair and I had bald spots .Doctor said that it is alopecia But now i m finding soft spots in my scalp(it's like child like scalp).
Pls tell me what it can be ?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 minutes later
Hello dear,
Alopecia aerata presents like soft spots only.
The area will be devoid of hair and scalp will be completely smooth.

To give a closer diagnosis, I would like to see the photograph of the lesion.
Please upload a picture of the lesion.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. You can also send the reports/ image to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Rahul Kumar'."

Thank you

Follow-up: Loosing hair and had bald spot. Diagnosed with it is alopecia. Treatment for the spots? 1 hour later
Can't upload the pics right now ..

But I m loosing hair extensively. And soft spots scared me .It seems like it is a child scalp.

Today I found second spot. Really scared .

Doctor prescribed me : Folica tab and other mineral vitamin.

Is this is sufficient to cure me .

I have changed my routiene: I wake up early and do walk 06:30 to 07:00 and eat fruits and all.

Also pls tell me how much time it will be cured . I m having medicines for last 2 weeks.Hair loss is not controlled.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.
As you mentioned you are loosing hair in patches, only vitamin suppliment wont be enough.
You need to take steroid injections (kenocort) in the patches.
Please XXXXXXX a dermatologist and discuss regarding this injection.

Please dont worry you are not going to loose hair completely, hair will regrow even in those patches with treatment.

Thank you

Follow-up: Loosing hair and had bald spot. Diagnosed with it is alopecia. Treatment for the spots? 4 minutes later
Thanks Doc..

I m going to visit AIIMS to discuss this problem.Probably on Tuesday.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 minutes later
Ya that will be a good idea.

Thank you