Loose motion,pain in lower right back,Cephalexin for skin infection,

hi Doctor, I live in Australia and I am suffering loose motion for the last 3 days, it started normally and yesterday it was 3 times and twice this morning. NOw I'm feeling slight pain in my lower back right side. I took a s antibiotic(cephalexin 500mg : two capsules twice a day for three days) for a skin infection i had. Could this be the problem?? What should be the best way to go about this??
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Dear Amay,

Thanks for consulting me.

It would be better if you can answer few of my queries.

1. Can you describe the consistency of the stool - is it completely watery or semisolid stool?
2. Do you find mucous or blood stains in the stool?
3. Did you vomit?
4. Are you running fever too?

Oral Cephlexin is reported to cause diarrheal episodes in some individuals. Change of antibiotic may be suggested if your symptoms are severe as it is of now.

In the meanwhile, you will need to take plenty of fluids using oral rehydration salts frequently to avoid getting dehydrated.

Awaiting your answers.

Follow-up: Loose motion,pain in lower right back,Cephalexin for skin infection, 3 hours later

The stools are almost watery. I would say about 95% of it.
No blood neither mucous
No vomit no fever,no other illness at all.

The last time I had a capsule of cephalexin 500mg was tuesday night. but the diarrhea continues up to now.

What kind of food should I avoid?? And any medicine that you would recommend under the conditions??

Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 hours later
Dear Amay,

Thanks for following up.

First let me apologies for being late in answering you.

Though Cephalexin is tolerated well in most people, a few have reported side effects that include loose stools and vomiting. The typical characteristics of stools that have been reported with its use are watery stools occasionally stained in blood (in some people) - as reported by you.

These symptoms may last for a 24 to 36 hours following the last medication. I hope by the time you see this answer, you could have recovered well. If not, you may need to use anti diarrheal medications. Imodium (Loperamide) is an antidiarrheal medication that is available over the counter at most places. You may check for the availability of this medication at the nearest pharmacy/chemist. Usually one or two tablets given over a period of 6-12 hours is enough to control the stools.

With regards to food, a less spicy, less greasy food is preferred. Sometimes milk and milk products, XXXXXXX fried food that are least digestible, high fiber food products, and so on is to be avoided. Plain rice, liquid diet, baked potatoes, banana and other semisolid food products are good choice in the current context.

Hope I have answered your query adequately.

Wish you good health!!