Loose motion. Will Redotil have side effects? What should I eat?

I am passing loose motion 4/5 times. I am adviced Redotil 2 tablets every 4 hours. Will it have side effects. What should I eat and NOT eat. I am taking medicine Thelma H, Suprative at breakfast and Metolar xr 25 at dinner.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

You are taking treatment for hypertension. Hope your blood pressure is under control with medications.

The medication Radotil is a good drug and generally well tolerated and having very good safely profile.

Primary action of this drug is to reduce water content in stool and reduce the amount of water loss in stool, so as to avoid dehydration. Please take it as advised.

Apart from this,

- Take light diet, more of fruits and salads. Soups, juices etc. are better.
- You can also take curd rice, butter milk, coffee, lemon water. Keep taking them on regular basis.
- Take proper rest.
- Avoid maize products like bread, biscuits, fried snacks etc.
- You can continue normal routine diet, be light on your stomach. Have small frequent meals.
- Keep regular follow up with your doctor.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have. In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Loose motion. Will Redotil have side effects? What should I eat? 2 hours later
There is lots (extreme) flatulence discharge as well as movement in the abdomen area. There is "CHAG"as in Hindi in stool and maybe some mucous. Is the medication enough?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

Please continue the medication given for couple of days. After couple of days, if you fail to respond, you may need to add an antibiotic. This can be done after consulting your physician.
I would like to reassure you that some form of change in consistency can be expected. There is no reason to worry for this.
Continue taking plenty of liquids and a light diet as advised.

Follow-up: Loose motion. Will Redotil have side effects? What should I eat? 8 hours later
Instead of improving my loose motion situation has worsened. I had at 10pm & 2am. This 2 times more in quantity & watery. Please help improve situation urgently.

I would suggest you to attend the ER as soon as possible. I suspect it to be infective in nature ,hence you may need antibiotics to bring the problem under control .

Meanwhile do consume oral rehydrating solutions like REBALANZ or Electrol continuously.Do not take any hard or spicy foods.

Depending on the dehydration occurred in you , you may be needing Intravenous fluids also.