Loose lump on ankle, bruise around it, no pain

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a random loose lump on the outer part of my left ankle and there is a huge bruise around it.. no pain and i didnt hit my ankle anywhere.. it literally appeared out of nowhere..
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Lumps in the ankle can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors and trauma. Since there is no history of injury, it can be due to-
1. Abscess or infection
2. Spontaneous hematoma- due to a bleeding disorder
3. Rheumatoid arthritis or Gout or inflammatory arthritis.
4. Ganglion cyst.
5. Lipoma or fibroma.
You should have the relevant investigations done like FNAC, x-ray of the ankle joint, blood counts done to know the cause of the lump.The cyst or such swelling may be excised by the orthopedician and you should consult him for the physical examination and treatment.
Meanwhile you should avoid weight bearing on the foot, provide adequate rest and do a cold compress in the area for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.