Loose, foul-smelling, yellow stools. No blood or mucus. Frequent BMs. Could the return of loose BMs be due to my period?

I came down with a stomach flu four days ago and was able to recover within 24 hours. I had nausea, fever, and diarreah but no vomiting. I had no diarreah or bowel movements for two days and kept a very simple diet of oatmeal for breakfast, breads, pasta, chicken, XXXXXXX applesauce, small amounts of fats (mayonnaise and butter/margarine), and water. Yesterday and today, I have had loose bowel movements. They are yellow in color, foul-smelling, have no blood or mucus in them, and I am having 1-3 BMs per day. My diet still consists of the same foods mentioned earlier. I also got my period yesterday. I do typically have GI problems with my period, but only on the first day. Could the return of the loose BMs be due to my period? Or could the stomach virus be something else such as rotavirus?

Other information:
Age: 21
Height: 4'11"
Weight: 93 lbs
Medical history: IBS, GERD, and lactose intolerance.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Having 1-3 bowel movements per day after a recent gut infection can be due to the bowel disturbance that you normally have during your periods. It is less likely to be a rotavirus or a relapse of infection.
Right now you need to continue taking light and easy to digest food along with plenty of fluids.
For temporary relief start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine. Taking yogurt with your meals will also help.
I expect your symptoms to improve 3-5 days.
In case the symptoms persist, I encourage you to consult your physician for a stool examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.