Loose bowel control when go out walking. What to do?

why do I lose bowel control only when I go out walking what can I do
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome,

The presentation described by you is called fecal incontinence. The reason why you lost control over your bowels when you indulge in physical activity like walking is because there is a gravitational pressure applied while you are in the standing pressure and also because the movement caused due to walking can cause the sphincter to open up and leak some fecal matter, if any of the following causes are present: damage to muscles, sphincter or nerves that help in controlling a bowel movement; diarrhea or even constipation.

I can understand this can be embarrassing, but I request you to kindly visit a doctor for your complaints as fecal incontinence can easily be treated and you need not experience this anymore.

Treatment includes medication to control diarrhea or constipation, medication to help control bowel movement, lifestyle changes (diet and exercise); and surgery as a last option (usually when fecal incontinence is caused due to childbirth).

I hope this information helped. Do write back to me with any further clarifications, and I would be more than happy to help.

Wishing you the best.