Loose and smelly stools, blood specks in it, diarrhea. Has tonsillitis. What can be causing mucus?

My 3 year old daughter had a loose smelly bowel movement with pinkish / blood specs in it, about three hours ago, she just went again, and there was more, its been loose for about a week now, but not what I would define as diarrhea, her day care is having a bout of stomach virus, although she hasn't been in since last Friday, and she has tonsillitis, which she caught from her sister, what can be causing the mucus? She just started azithromycin today at 4 pm
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

How many episodes of loose stools does did she have per day since 1 week?
If you are saying that she has blood and mucus in the stool, it would be better to get a stool examination done to look for bacteria / parasites.

Make sure your daughter is well rehydrated with ORS oral rehydration solution. It would be wise to give her some probiotics like lactobacilli which will help in maintaining her normal gut flora(good bacteria that is normally present). Give her cooked rice gruel with a pinch of salt. She should feel better with these measures.

If she is alert , eating and drinking ok, playful, good urine output, do not worry. However, if she is dehydrated, drowsy, lethargic , with decreased urine output, refusing to drink anything,blood in stools, please visit the paediatrician immediately.

Please clarify which one of your daughters is on azithromycin? Is it the daughter who is having loose stools with blood specs?

Sometimes all the mucus in the upper respiratory tract and throat during tonsillitis, cough, cold etc gets into the digestive tract causing mucous in stools. That is also a possibility. Children don't cough out or expectorate the sputum/mucus, they tend to swallow it causing it to get into their digestive tract and out in the stools.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Loose and smelly stools, blood specks in it, diarrhea. Has tonsillitis. What can be causing mucus? 8 hours later
Thank you, yes she is alert playful eating and drinking normally, not complaint of any stomach pain other than when she is actually going. She is the one on the azithromycin which she started yesterday, but the mucus was noticed befor her first dose. I would say she is having maybe 4 loose stools a day for the past week, but I had just noticed the mucus yesterday. These had just gotten home from the pediatrician regarding the tonsillitis, so when I called my ped I got his answering service by the time she had the bowel movement. But your answer does make me feel a bit more at ease, since I know she is acting completely normal for a 3 year old and her eating and drinking habits have not changed.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

If the mucus/blood specs in stools persists after 2 days, I would advise a repeat visit to the paediatrician.

In the meantime , kindly follow the advise mentioned in the previous mail.

Also, give your daughter sips of slightly warm water/ fluids at regular intervals to drink. It might be soothing to the throat.

You might also want to give her a teaspoon of honey twice a day; good for loose stools as well as throat.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Loose and smelly stools, blood specks in it, diarrhea. Has tonsillitis. What can be causing mucus? 1 hour later
Thank you, started probiotic today, and sticking to a very bland diet including the rice you mentioned. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 21 hours later
You are welcome.

I hope your daughter feels better soon :)