Looks like a blood blister on clitoris. Used sitz bath. Suffer pain. Concerned it may be cancer?

Excellent
Question
I had what looked like a blood blister on my clitoris. I was seen by an OB/GYN who had never seen anything like it. I was instructed to use sitz baths with epson salts and/or warm compresses. It was intermittently sensitive and painful. We agreed that it was probably a blood blister. Over the course of 2 months, it went down in size until it was mostly gone. It is now back and bigger than before - about 2mm. More painful this time. Originally, I thought the cause was a long and vigorous spin class and some tight bike shorts. This time, I can't remember anything that might have caused it. My big concern is that it might be cancer. I'm sexually activity with one partner x 34 years. I'm 55 years old and very active. Recently, I've had a niece diagnosed with a thyroid cancer and mother with liver cancer. I seem to have reason to be paranoid. Last Pap and Pelvic was in February, 2013 and all was normal. I have hypothyroidism (treated w levothyroxine) but not other health issues.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The swelling on your clitoris is likely to be a blood blister only. The increase in size can happen due to vigorous sex activity also. This is not suggestive of a cancer. It is likely to subside with epsom salt bath.
You only need to self monitor it for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means this needs to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Looks like a blood blister on clitoris. Used sitz bath. Suffer pain. Concerned it may be cancer? 3 hours later
This has already reoccured once. If this is a blood blister, it seems odd to be recurring. Your thoughts on this? Although I did not experience vigorous sex, I do bike a lot and I tend to wear tight yoga pants. One source I read suggested cold compresses and one recommended warm. Which do you recommend? Is there anything else I can do? I thought that perhaps Preparation H would be an option. Thoughts on that? If it is a blood blister, I want to encourage reabsorption so I've been using warm compresses but have not yet tried anything else.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recurrence can happen in case of a repeated injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A blood blister can recur if there is a recurrent injury in the area. Biking and wearing tight yoga pants can cause this.
Cold compresses are helpful in first 48 hours of the appearance of the blister. After that , warm compresses help in an early recovery.
Using any topical application cream like preparation H will not help. Do not massage over the area. This will subside on its own.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.