Looking treatment for pain, dryness, red discoloration, film over lower eyelid and crust in the eyes

Pathologist and Microbiologist
My eyes really hurt but only as soon as I go to sleep. The pain wakes me up. They feel dry and like glass. In the morning I have a bit of crust. It has been going on for 2 weeks. My eyes are slightly blood shotted in the morning and the bottom eye lids seems to have a clear little film in them...
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your concern here.

Pain, dryness, red discoloration, film over lower eyelid and crust in the eyes is suggestive of an infection of the conjunctiva. The duration of 2 weeks points more towards an allergy. However, the diagnosis and treatment can be decided only after a proper evaluation by an ophthalmologist.

Conjunctiva is a transparent film over the eye ball and eye lids. Any infection or irritation over it can present with similar symptoms.

Meanwhile, maintain a good hygiene. Wash the eyes with cold and clean water at least thrice a day. Oral analgesics such as Tablet Ibuprofen can relieve some discomfort and pain.

So, first get it examined by an ophthalmologist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal