Looking suggestion regarding knee replacement surgery

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Need you suggestion regarding Knee replacement surgery
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 17 hours later

As asked, a knee replacement surgery will reduce/eliminate the pain on walking but it is true that the surgery needs to be repeated usually after 10-15 years depending on certain criteria such as patient's weight, type of surgery, extent of damage, age etc.

I can further assist with my opinion after seeing a diagnostic knee joint x-ray and would also like to know her weight. Please mention if she suffers from any problems such as diabetes or hypertension as well.

Follow-up: Looking suggestion regarding knee replacement surgery 33 minutes later
My mother's weight is around 65Kg and height is around 5'8".
She does not have diabetes but occasionally complains of high BP.

Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 14 minutes later

Before the surgery, your orthopedic surgeon will do her tests and get BP under control. 65 Kg for her height seems to be ok, but as I mentioned that knee replacement will last for 10-15 years depending on the wear and tear of the joint after surgery. As the weight falls on the knee, the lower the better.

Even if it’s not permanent, it will drastically improve her quality of living as the pain will reduce and she will be able to walk with relative ease.

Any final decisions can be made after seeing her x-rays and clinical examination.

Hope this helps.