Looking permanent solution for posterior annual tear at L5-S1 interverteral disc

Spine Surgeon
Hello Doctor,
Required you suggestion related to my report.
While explains about "Posterior annual tear at L5-S1 interverteral disc"
which suffering from last 3 years. I would like to have permanent solution, preferably non-surgical. I just had a physio therapy 2 years back.
Also request you to provide which specialist to inquire for the same. either orto or neuro

Best regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 47 minutes later

I have gone through the reports attached. You have L5-S1 disc herniation with right sided nerve root compression. It usually causes back pain with leg pain which can be episodic or persisting. During the episode we initially treat with medicine and physiotherapy. If symptoms persist then we may try nerve root block.

Permanent solution to this problem is to remove the herniated disc fragment and free the nerve that is compressed. I would consider doing that if you have persistent pain which is hampering your day to day work if all other above mentioned measures have failed.

How frequently do you have this problem?
Is it bad all the time or get better in between and sometimes become severe?
I need to understand your present symptoms and then correlated those with the MRI findings.

To simply answer your query, the only non-surgical permanent solution is physiotherapy and it does not change the pathology but calm down the irritable nerve. We can also consider doing nerve root block to achieve the rapid recovery. However one need to keep open mind and microdiscectomy (surgery) is definitely a most rewarding spine surgery.

If you want to consult a specialist, then prefer an orthopaedic-spine surgeon. I currently do not have any references in Bangalore though.

To summarise, I would say non-surgical solution is physiotherapy and if you don't get better with it, then surgery is the definitive solution to this problem.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if there are other enquiries.