Looking information on dandy walker cyst

I'm Looking for information on a Dandy Walker cyst, Can you help me, please?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I appreciate your concern for your friend. However in this platform it is not possible to give all the informatin of the cyst. Kindly let me know what specific information you are looking for.

Dandy Walker Cyst is also known as Dandy Walker Complex. I shall give some main features of the condition:
1. It is a congenital brain malformation.
2. Involves cerebellum and spaces containing fluid around it.
3. There is partial or complete absence of cerebellar vermis, the part between the two cerebellar hemispheres.
4. It is a genetically sporadic disorder occuring one in 30,000 live births.
5. Prognosis of outcomes cannot be predicted.

Dandy Walker Complex can have a lot of variations and hence the name. It can be associated with various syndromes. Its features may appear dramatically or may go unnoticed. Usually, the infant presents with slower motor developement and progressive enlargement of the skull.

I hope I have provided you wth a brief overview of the condition. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarfications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your friend's child all the best.