Looking for 24 hr blood pressure monitor

I am trying to find a 24 hr blood pressure monitor to rent and can not find one in San francisco. I have called my pcp office and they have nothing to offer. My ex husband is an MD who says he always used to use on when he was in practice. I am healthy and do not want to take diazide etc if I do not really need to. I have always had a bp of 110/70. I do not drink or smoke and have a healthy diet and exercise daily. I want to take this 24 hr test and can not find the machine to do it.. I do not want to BUY ONE. thanks
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
I have never head of small portable blood pressure machines for rent. It would probably more expensive to rent than to buy one. You can probably get a cheap one at any pharmacy, probably around 30-50$. The other option is to get your blood pressure checked at any pharmacy (some pharmacies have a machine and you pay 50 cents to get your blood pressure checked).
Make sure you eat a low salt diet (maximum 2000 miligrams per day of salt). Blood pressure should be checked in both arms, and with the correct cuff size (if the cuff is too big or too small it will give an erroneous blood pressure).
Hope that helped,
Follow-up: Looking for 24 hr blood pressure monitor 5 minutes later
Walgreens does not sell them as far as I can tell. They are very expensive to buy..several hundred dollars or more. I do eat a low salt diet. I can not believe that the medical community is no longer using them in their offices. Thanks for your answer and I know you are giving it your best shot.. but still it leaves me with no where to go to get this done.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 10 minutes later
I have seen them at Walgreens, CVS, etc. Maybe the one close to you is out of them. Otherwise you can order it online
Those are between 30 and 40$

Hope that helped.
Follow-up: Looking for 24 hr blood pressure monitor 32 minutes later
Thanks for the links but when you go to them..they only offer typical at home blood pressure machines and do not talk about 24 hour monitoring type which is different.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 6 hours later
there is no such thing like a 24h continous blood pressure monitor for home. This is only needed for intensive care unit patients, and you need a special catheter into your artery (arterial line).
You only need to check it a couple of times a day while at home if it is normal.