Long string like thing in stool,two hemorrhoids,bowels more often than usual

Pediatrician
Question
I am 54. Noticed yesterday I had a long string-like thing in my stool. Can't say it looked like a worm but then I dont know what they look like in bowel motions. I have 2 haemherroids that are not causing problems but I am getting concerned as I seem to use my bowels more often then I used to do after eating.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Your queries are as follows:

1) Noticed a long string-like thing in my stool yesterday.

== Was it wide and long?
Most small worms that appear thread like and not more than 2inches would be Threadworms. Classically Ascaris or Round worms are pencil thick and around half a feet long. Tapeworms are flat and longer and usually not seen in motions easily.

2)Can't say it looked like a worm but then I dont know what they look like in bowel motions.
== Most probably it could be a worm, but at times it can ingested fragments or sticky stools. It would be better to get examined by a physician and he/she may ask to get stool tested for worms and ova. Your doctor may prescribe a dose of deworming medicine.

3)I am getting concerned as I seem to use my bowels more often then I used to do after eating.
== Often, worms are associated with loose stools for a day or two. You need to maintain a good hygiene of yourself and also while preparing food.

If this happens frequently, I would like to know your daily diet habits and about your surroundings.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any more doubts I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Long string like thing in stool,two hemorrhoids,bowels more often than usual 1 hour later
Dear Dr Kondehar

It was a long (maybe 12-15cm) and thin....

I have good hygeine habits.

I find I am using my bowels within an hour of eating a big meal quite often.

Does this sound like a tape worm or anything more sinister? If it is a worm, can it be easily treated?

Thank you XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, it may be worm like say round worm and can be easily treated. Your doctor may mostly prescribe some drugs like albendazole in specific doses suiting you.