Long lasting cough. Blood tests stated raised ESR. Meaning? Is it TB?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my son is 4 years old he is having a ough for last 2 weeks....his blood test results ar esr 50 easnophil 56 lymphoyte 5 what doe this indite is he affeted by tb
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A cough for last 2 weeks with raised ESR and eosinophils is suggestive of an allergic origin of the cough. The blood counts are not suggestive of tuberculosis. Confirmation of diagnosis can be done with more specific tests like IgG and IgA assessment against tubercular antigen.
Allergic bronchitis or asthma related problems are more common in this age group.
He also needs to undergo allergic testing for common allergens, which can be done via blood test. This kind of tests check sensitivity to various common allergens which could be responsible. If the allergen is found out, the things become easier to treat.
Please avoid strong smell, smoke, perfume, pets etc, which are common agents which can lead to this kind of cough. Wash the pillows covers and bed sheet frequently. This will definitely help.
Please consult his pediatrician for proper treatment and prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Long lasting cough. Blood tests stated raised ESR. Meaning? Is it TB? 16 hours later
hello sir,
Thanks a lot for that.but he has started this only after he has started his schooling and also some constructions work are going on there..whether that could be the cause of this..should i think of changing his school..if he is allergic then surely that would worse the situation???

Thanks for writing again.

Exposure to the dust due to ongoing construction work might be a reason. Avoiding the dust will be helpful. Changing the school might not help much as the exposure to allergen is mostly environmental and is usually present in whole of the area.

Getting an allergy test done will help in detecting the exact causative factor.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.