Long fleshy growth on back side of jaw. Could this be cancer?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just discovered a long fleshy growth on the back right side of my upper jaw. Could this be a sign of cancer? I am not a smoker and an otherwise healthy.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Mouth cancers are rare and usually asscoiated with smoking,alcohol and HPV is more common in men+ 55age. Mouth growths are most commonly benign tumours such as traumatic fibroma from sucking tissue through teeth or chewing on your tissue, a lipoma (fat), a fibroma or wart. Cancers are less than 1% of lesions.

SOme signs which can be alarming are fast grow, size >2cm, pain, pus formation, irregular shape and bleeding. If you are not sure about those signs,you should show it to dentist or oral surgeon. It can be easily removed in local anasthaesia and histologicaly analysed after this.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help