Located CMT gene. May have another form of peripheral neuropathy. Will my children have charcot tooth disease?

Neurologist
Question
I am enquiring about charcot XXXXXXX tooth disease - I have it and worried that my children will get it- did a genetic test and it seems that they can locate the CMT 2 gene - I may have another form of peripheral nueropathy - what should I do?

Also who is the top neurologist in the world?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello

Thank you for sending your question.

From the clinical and the genetic details provided to me it is clear you are not suffering from the classical type of CMT. As of today we have genetic tests only for the more common forms of CMT and many more which are rare are being done only in research trials. As your wife does not carry the gene for CMT and disease being autosomal recessive it is extremely unlikely that your children are affected.

My recommendation would be for you to continue on physiotherapy to prevent muscle atrophy and take multivitamins for time being. XXXXXXX your Neurologist or Geneticist to find out the nearest center conducting trials on rare forms of CMT for genetic analysis.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: Located CMT gene. May have another form of peripheral neuropathy. Will my children have charcot tooth disease? 7 minutes later
tx who is the top neurologist in the world
for my type of condition

Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

For CMT, there are many renowned Neurologist working all over the world in many institutes. One of the center which I prefer to send my patients is Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R

Follow-up: Located CMT gene. May have another form of peripheral neuropathy. Will my children have charcot tooth disease? 4 hours later
It would be nice if there was a name you can provide me with....

We all know the mayo clinic...

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 13 hours later
Hello

A group of Doctors are working on CMT in the Mayo clinic. One of them is Dr Klein CJ in the group which I am aware of.

Wishing you Good health.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R