Localized itchy patch of skin on labia majora, flaky and itchy, also bleeds. Should I be nervous?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have had a localized itchy patch of skin on my right labia majora for almost a year now and it has worsened recently it is becoming dry and flaky and when I peel it away it bleeds. It goes away when i shower but comes back and becomes dry and begins to flake off peel and bleed all over againPlease help I'm nervous and afraid
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 38 minutes later

Please do not worry. You seem to have a fungal infection most likely but there is a possibility of superadded bacterial infection too since it involves genitalia. Other possibilities include local skin conditions like Lichen Sclerosis, Xerosis.

Since it is for a very long time, you definitely need to consult your PCP / Dermatologist who can examine you, if needed order some investigation like smear or culture of the discharge or vaginal swab. You may also need blood counts and come to an exact diagnosis and start treatment. I do not advice self medication at this point of time.

Since you are recently diagnosed as hypertensive, I would advise you also get your blood sugar tested; fungal infection is more common in diabetics.

Please always give a complete history of your symptoms and past illness, sexual partners and medication to your doctor to avoid any adverse drug interactions. All these aid in correct diagnosis and right treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries.