Living in a house with mold, asthma attacks, loss of memory, speech problems, chest pain, risk of stroke. Can aspergillus cause this?

My husband was living in a house infested with mold. We did not know this. We had smelled mold when we moved there Serv Pro came and said it was okay, just a little, they cleaned it. Turns out roof was leaking (roof put on wrong) between wallss and mold was growing in walls and bled through where it could be seen. My husband saw the mold, the next day we were rushing to E.R. for severe asthma attack. He has had asthma since childhood. But he was able to be very athletic as it usually stayed in control. He has been having serious lung and asthma problems since August. For a little while his lungs seemed to be doing better. This was around October 20th - 27th. We thought we were over the hump and he would start improving. Then around the 26th or so of October he started having memory and speech problems. The speech problems were so bad we were afraid he had a stroke, sent for tests, and stroke ruled out. Speech is still bad, it is at the point where he has been made fun of by kids and rude waitresses, etc. I don't understand what is happening. He is on pain medicine for muscle aches. It is so hard for him to talk. And his breathing sounds horrible. I am really worried. Early on we were in E.R. four times for his breathing. One time we went to E.R, for chest pain. That visit we did not really mention the mold because he was hurting in chest on left side and down left arm, we were afraid that he might have a blockage even though he is only 30. This was ruled out. He is seeing family doctor. He has been referred to neurologist. And to a doctor who specializes in aspergillus whom we will not see til middle of January. I guess my question is, Can mold do all of this to someone? The house was very bad. We have air results and they are very bad. Family doctor thinks it is all related to mold. I am afraid this exposure has triggered MS. Is that possible?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

It is possible that the fungus Aspergillus (mold) has caused these symptoms in your husband.

Chronic infection with Aspergillus can cause laboured breathing, fatigue, weight loss, speech loss, nasal discharge and excessive thirst and urine excretion. But it is unlikely that this would have triggered multiple sclerosis in your husband. Viral and genetic factors are implicated as triggers in multiple sclerosis. The only environmental factors that are known to trigger MS are Vitamin D and smoking.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.