Liver tests showed 54 ast and 68 alt. What does this mean?

I just found out my liver tests showed 54 ast and 68 alt. I played 2 soccer games the day before the tests which I normally don't do. What does this mean. I also was drinking a lot up to the time of the test. I'm worried about hepatitis or other major diseases.
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase) are enzymes present in the liver. Whenever liver is subjected to more work or there is damage to the liver cells, the level of these enzymes is seen increased in the blood.

Though the levels are out of range, they are not significantly high to consider possibilities of any serious illness. It is most likely a mild form of liver damage which is expected to improve in the due course of time.

If it is drinking alcohol is what you meant, then it could be the cause for such a level of enzymes in blood. You could also check at the levels of GGT (gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) to ascertain alcohol induced liver damage. GGT will be high in alcohol induced hepatitis.

Rarely the above reading can be encountered in otherwise healthy person with normal liver function too. This happens when the person has consumed a fat XXXXXXX diet few hours before the test time.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.