Liver test showed elevated ALT level. What does this mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My liver test was elevated in one category: ALT (SGPT) 47 (EXPECTED 0-32)

what does it mean?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
This is a common query by most people who have taken a liver function test.

I would like to clarify at the outset itself that when a liver function test is interpreted there two things to consider: Symptoms and Level of liver enzymes.

If the patient has no symptoms and the levels are not more than three times the baseline values then it is considered normal.
So presuming you do not have symptoms like fever, bloating, pain in the right lower chest, yellowish discoloration of skin and eyes, I do not find the values of ALT concerning.
Such a mild rise can happen due to dietary changes like intake of oily and spicy foods recently. You can get the levels rechecked after 6 months to see the trends.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Liver test showed elevated ALT level. What does this mean? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The mild water in the abdominal wall is not worrisome. You need to get an ultrasound of the abdomen done to rule out any ascites.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.