Liver test done. Does the report shows the sigh of liver disease? How to cure it?

Hello my liver tests are as follows AST 126 IU/L ALT 142 IU/L . Is this a sign of liver disease? Is it reversible? What can I do to heal?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Well your reoorts of AST and ALT are ceratainly. Infact, they almost three to four times the upper limit of normal.
This dose suggest that you have a liver injury. This can be due to various reasons and need further evaluation.
Most liver related diseases are treatable and curable if diagnosed and treated at the initial stages.
You must undergo thorough investigations to ascertain the cause of such liver dysfunction.

Complete Liver Functions Tests.
Hepatitis B and C testing
Ultrasound scan of the abdomen
Medication history.
Alcohol intake..?

Do consult your physician for the same.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Liver test done. Does the report shows the sigh of liver disease? How to cure it? 22 minutes later
Hello doctor, I have been drinking alcohol in high amounts as of late. About three to four scotch whiskey drinks a day. I do believe it is from me drinking too much. I also have some problems with my urine and my leukocyte esterase test came as "Trace" AB. Since my liver levels are this high do I need to quit drinking all together? Or can I still have one or two a week??
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 7 hours later
Dear Friend,

You must stop drinking altogether. As you have developed alcohol induced hepatitits.

The good news is that, it is 100% reversible in early stages. You are in early stage now and therefore, stopping alcholo with bring your liver function to normal in a few weeks.

There is no room for even small amounts as it is going to aggravate the injury.

Urine repprt is suggestive of mild infection.
Take a course of antibiotics. Ofloxacin would be better can be taken safely with minor liver injury.

Wish you good health.

Dr Kiran