Liver results stated raised GGT, lipid profile erratic. On norvasc and lisinoprol. Am I okay?

I am a 49 year old woman and I just got the results of my life insurance blood work and the live results are as follows:

Bilirubin 0.7
Total protein 6.7

I do drink about 3 times a week when going out with friends. I think this may be the reason for the elevation. I have no problem quitting that, however, will that help with these results?

I also take 5mg or Norvasc and 40 mg of Lisinopril. When pain relief is needed I take ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen.

Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 41 minutes later
I notice two anomalies in your attached blood reports-
1. Raised GGT- Gamma Glutamyl Transferase levels are fairly commonly raised in females under effect of their estrogen hormone without any consequences, much higher levels than your levels are so common.
Off course alcohol consumption increases GGT/GGTP but it also increases AST(sGOT) levels, Which are normal in your case.
I don't think you need total abstinence. It is found that a regular maintenance of 30 ml of hard liquor or 300 ml of beer or 100ml of wine per day are acceptable limits for a woman till 50 yrs of age.

2. Your Lipid profile is erratic-
High triglyceride levels
Cholesterol and LDL levels are on higher side of the spectrum with Tryglycerides being higher than the upper limit.
You need regular exercise and a strict cut down on fried foods and saturated fats in diets and repeat Lipid profile after 3 months. Replace them with 6 servings of vegetables and fruit per day.

A binge of drinking in presence of high tryglycerides may precipitate acute pancreatitis- a fairly lethal disease, so avoid binge drinking.

I hope that answers your query.