Liver functional test normal except gamma gt 159. On ayurvedic medicine. Worrisome

my name is XXXXXXX and recently I had a health screening in which my gamma gt showed as 159. all the remaining liver functional test are normal. also my ultrasound for my liver is normal too. I am not a heavy drinker but I am on ayurvedic medication for the past 5 years. Do I need to worry ? is the reading considered too high ?
sorry there was a mistake In the previous question where I mentioned that I am not a heavy drinker, what I meant to say is that I do not drink at all I have never ever sipped alcohol.
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 33 minutes later
You are young, 33 years old and during medical screening found to have 159, which is high as upper limit of normal is 42.
GGT (Gamma glutamyl transpeptidase) which is commonly seen elevated in alcohol related injury to liver but as you mentioned that you do not take alcohol.
Your sonography of liver is also normal.
1) It is important to know what kind of ayurvedic medicine you are taking for last 5 year as many times contents are not known and may produce liver damage.
2) How long you suffering from High BP and what drug you are taking for Blood Pressure.
3) Are you over weight and do you have high Cholesterol level.
It would be advisable to recheck GGT level after 3 weeks.
Please let me know the details, so that I can clarify it.
Follow-up: Liver functional test normal except gamma gt 159. On ayurvedic medicine. Worrisome 32 minutes later
I am taking MuktaVati for blood pressure control for the past 5 years. however I have BP issue since 10 yrs.. Yes I am overweight by 11 Kilo. My cholesterol is border line 5.4. Anything else that can cause it ?.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Thanks for your input.
Sometime Overweight, Lipid abnormality, High BP all could be part of metabolic syndrome, which may also show high reading for GGT.
You can take up diet plan and regular exercise to reduce weight.
Reduce your salt intake <2.5 gm/day.
It would be advisable to repeat GGT and Lipid profile after 1 month.
If you are Hypertensive then, it is recommended that you consult local Physician.
If it high >140/90 mm of hg you may have to take antihypertensive medicines. XXXXXXX vati is herbal drug and mix of 7-8 herbs, I cannot comment about effectiveness or effect on liver.
Hope this information helps you.
If you want any clarification let me know, if nothing is there, close this discussion and rate this answer.