Liver function test done, shows GGT, ALT, AST. Waiting for ultrasound of gall bladder and pancreas. What does the test result indicate?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my liver function test results are GGT is 120, ALT 108 and AST 73. I just need your opinion as to what this means. i am waiting for an ultrasound scan around the Gall Blader and pancreas.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

The AST, ALT and GGT are enzymes present in the liver, whose levels in the blood are increased when the liver is affected by any injury or illness like viral hepatitis, liver cirrhosis etc.

Different laboratories may differ slightly in the accepted normal range but the levels are normally less than 30 to 40 units/litre for all these tests i.e AST, ALT , GGT. So your levels are definitely moderately raised.

Since your GGT is raised more than others the possibilities are more likely to be
1. Biliary obstruction: either due to bile duct obstruction or pathology of pancreas.
2. Alcoholic liver disease.

The exact diagnosis can only be confirmed by your doctor after detailed examination and investigations like ultrasound or CT scan etc.

So, please wait for the ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis. In any case, the situation at present is not an emergency or very severe and treatment would depend on the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.