Liver enzymes level high, potassium levels low. Dizziness worse after micardis. How to correct BP?

Good Morning Doc, I started taking verapamil about 5 years ago for High Blood pressure. I took it for about 2 years and I was told I should get a blood test for my liver. I did and my liver enzymes level was very high. So, my PA took me off of that med and subscribed me hydrochlorothiazide and I took it for about 2 years but started to feel like fainting and had dizziness. I took another blood test and found that my Potassium levels were very low. So my PA took me off of this medication and gave me vitamins, 10 day supply of potassium pills and micardis. My blood pressure has been around 154/93 most of the time now. It use to be around 130/85. I get dizzy when I get up from bed in the morning and it seems to not go away. I also take Prilosec for acid reflux and it seem to be worse since I started taking the Micardis. I work out 3 times a week trying to cut my weight. I currently weight 266, 5' 11"and I'm 46 years old, Black male. Is there something else I should be doing to correct my BP and to get rid of the dizziness. Should I be asking for a different BP medicine. If so, what do you recommend?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here on XXXXXXX

I am not at all sure that you have true hypertension. Getting dizzy when you stand up is called "postural hypotension" or low blood pressure. This typically arises from the overzealous treatment of supposed "hypertension". In my book, hypertension is the most over treated "condition" on this planet.

Your reading of 154/93 is nearly normal. To settle the matter once and for all, what you need is a 24 hour blood pressure monitoring. This will give you a clear picture as to how your blood pressure behaves during the day and when in bed at night. It will also indicate to what extent you BP is stress related.

Before you do this you will need to be off all BP medications for two weeks. Good luck. I think that you will find that your BP is not all that out of line. I hope you can accept this advise.