Liver enzymes came back high. Should I express concern over it?

Question
I am a 50 year old male. I have an annual physical and over good health. My liver enzymes just came back @ 65. Should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later
Hi there....
Thanks for writing in
In order to be able to guide you better, I would like to know about your complete liver test profile ALT,AST,BILIRUBIN and alkaline phosphatase level. Also, I would like to know if you consume alcohol and are currently receiving any medication.
Awaiting your reply
Regards.

Follow-up: Liver enzymes came back high. Should I express concern over it? 1 hour later
All the other levels were good I just don't have access to the full report. I currently take aciphex, lexapro, simvistatin and trilipex. I rarely drink alcohol because of the medication I am on. I hope this helps.
Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Abid 10 hours later

Thanks for info it seems that your ALT level is 65 which is not too much high level, as you are on simvastatin this drug is expect to raise ALT level.

I will suggest you to repeat ALT after one month and right now nothing to be worry. It is recommended to repeat Liver enzymes every 6 months when you are on statins.

Use fresh fruit juices, regular exercise, healthy diet XXXXXXX in whole grains, veggies and fruit.

Regards.

Follow-up: Liver enzymes came back high. Should I express concern over it? 10 hours later
Dr. I am curious as to why a repeat is needed in 30 days and not 6 months as you noted. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Abid 24 hours later
Thanks for your follow up question.

As you are on cholesterol lowering drug simvastatin, that's why I asked you to repeat it after one month.

There is no need to worry.

Regards.