Liver damaged due to alcohol abuse. Have had gallbladder removed. Is it safe to take Udihep 300?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi Doctor, I have damaged Liver because of Alcohol Abuse (alcoholic hepatitis or maybe pre-cirrotic). LFT enzymes GGT and Alkaline Phosphate are very high but others like AST, ALT, Bilirubin etc are normal. I have quit drinking now and following the doctors prescribed meds like vitamins etc. But recently another Doctor advised me to add Udihep 300 mg twice. My question is that I have read that Ursodesoxycholic Acid is beneficial only in PBC or in removing Gall Stones. My gall bladder has been removed 8 years ago. So why did he prescribe Udihep 300 ?? Can this medicine damage my Liver further? Should i stop it or continue it ? If continue, for how long ??
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 1 hour later

Yes, you are right Ursodesoxycholic Acid is primarily used in the treatment of gall stones or primary biliary cirrhosis, but it also shown to decrease the increased levels of liver enzymes especially Gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) and alkaline phosphate. Perhaps the other doctor has prescribed it for this reason.

It is also true that Udilip/Udihep has shown to damage liver itself if taken for too long and hence I suggest you to try this for three months and get your liver function tests done again if there is any improvement.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Do ask if you have any more questions.

Dr. Rajat Gupta

Follow-up: Liver damaged due to alcohol abuse. Have had gallbladder removed. Is it safe to take Udihep 300? 5 hours later
Thanks for your answer. He primarily suggested to take it for one month !! So you think there will be 0 % further liver damage if taken for only one month ?? if no improvement

Hi XXXXXXX

I dont think, udilip should cause any damage to liver if given for one month only.
Hope it helps to improve your liver function tests.

Dr. Rajat Gupta