Liver cirrhosis, low sex drive. Alcohol addiction. Treatment?

I have cirrhosis and no completely abstinent from alcohol. My sex drive is not what it used to be and my semen is thick and my wife says it tastes different (not as sweet) as it used to be. Is there any effective treatment to restore normal sex drive?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. What you seem to be having is loss of libido which is losing interest in sex. It could be a natural consequence of ageing. It could also be due to psychiatric disorders like depression and anxiety.

In your case, cirrhosis liver is not directly linked to loss of libido but alcohol intake is a common factor in both and it can cause both liver disease as well as loss of libido.
In such a case, complete abstinence from alcohol helps.

If still the symptoms persist then medical causes need to be ruled out. Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and diabetes can reduce blood flow to the body, including the genitals. Similarly conditions such as thyroid disorders and tumors of the pituitary gland (which controls most hormone production, including sex hormones) can also lower libido.

In such a case, a detailed evaluation by your doctor along with investigations like EKG, cardiac stress test, blood sugar levels, thyroid profile and CT head to rule out any pituitary tumors are helpful. Treatment is diagnosis specific and if the cause is identified (apart from alcohol intake) then treatment can be planned accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.