Liver cancer. Prescribed pioglitazone hydrochloride. Taken high dosage. Side effects?

I was given pioglitazone hydrochloride in a bottle from pharmacy that was suppose to contain oxycodone 15 mg.
I am being treated with several other medications for stage 4 liver cancer and would like to know what damage I have done. The Oxycodone was prescribed at 1pill every 2 hours and I have taken a high dosage in a two week period. What kind of damage could have been done?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 54 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. i am sorry about this unfortunate confusion. The good news is that the biggest side effect expected so far, hypoglycemia with low sugar levels, has not happened at least by symptoms from your description (passing out, blurry vision, slurred speech, etc). You should stop the medication immediately and touch base with your prescribing provider, to see if he wants additional testing such as serial blood sugars. I don't believe that other major side effects would be expected from the medication by a 2 week ingestion.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Liver cancer. Prescribed pioglitazone hydrochloride. Taken high dosage. Side effects? 18 hours later
from what i have read, the medication i got should only be taken at one tablet a day which is 15 mg. I was taking 7-10 tablets a day at a rate of 105mg - 150mg a day. Also, i have been experiencing all the side effects that were related to taking the medication for diabetes type 2. So i disagree with you that no harm has been done. I feel the negative effects. I can barely get out of bed. And what about the two and a half weeks i spent is horrible pain for no reason? Do you really think that i would be prescribed Oxycontin 30mg to be taken every 8 hours in combination of the oxycodone 15mg every 2 hours as needed for pain if I didn't need it...Heck yes i needed it and couldn't understand why i couldn't get out of the pain. I should have been completely knocked out for that two weeks if i would have taken the medication i was suppose to get. I can't see how you just brushed it off with a simple......."Oh, you may have gotten a little hypogycemia and low blood sugar." You are completely looking at this as one medical professional basically protection another, when you for get about what I am asking from you, what I may be feeling and then you are getting paid for pulling the wool over a HUGE mistake. Well on top of all the information i am taking to a medical malpractice lawyer i have been referred to by my attorney, I will hand him this transcript. I don't care what he does with it, i just know that you shrugged this whole thing off when that is not what you are licensed to do. This is a VERY serious mistake and you know that it is....but chose to try and convince me i am and will be fine. How do you know that? My 6-9 months of life expectancy may have been reduced significantly and that means nothing to you...
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
again I am sorry about the mistake that happened, in any way it was my intention to minimize the event, which is indeed serious and reportable. What I was trying to clarify is that long term consequences from the medication are difficult to sort out; mostly we see acute complications the main one beinghypoglycemia. It is quite difficult to know if that event will have an impact on your life expectancy

Here at XXXXXXX we wish you the best, and a speedy recovery

yours truly