Liquid diarrhea, gassy stomach, indigestion, bloating. Taking probiotic. Advise?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
So a couple of weeks ago i had a bad spell of liquid diarrhea. After a few days it went away and i felt better. As of latley though my stomach is very gassy and unsettled and feelings of indigestion and bloated. I have been taking probiotics for a week as well. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Liquid diarrhoea signifies infection. So a course of specific antibiotics working on the gut are essential for at least 10 days. This will ensure that the infection is taken care of. After this process is completed, then a 2 week course of probiotics and vitamin B complex is essential to regain normalcy of gut function. I suggest that you visit your general physician for the same.
A feeling of indigestion and bloating suggests inadequate gut function either due to residual infection or disturbed normal intestinal flora.
I hope this helps you in identifying the cause of the symptoms.
With regards