Liquid coming out from ears. Had perforations in ear drum and taking amoxicillian. Could I flush sinuses?

ENT Specialist
Am getting over I believe abused ears? Yeah I know scratching ones ears with q-tips is a no no! I have had some clear
liquid coming out of both ears, no decernable infection, no pain Have prior long long ago perforations in both ear drums
from real old ear problems! this has been going on for several weeks Am taking amoxicillian 500mg just in case of a
low grade inner ear infection?..I can't seem to stop this head full of cotton feeling and my hearing keeps changing every time I clear the fluid from my ears?.... nasil decongestant p-e tab's does not help at all Is there something that
can (FLUSH) my sinuses rather than dry them up? XXXXXXX ..
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. A simple ear examination with an otoscope will answer a lot of questions here.

2. The secretions normally present in the middle ear drain via the Eustachian Tube into the nose and throat. If there are old perforations in the ear drums or Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, this clear fluid may drain into the ear canal.

3. Fluid originating in the middle ear will be mucoid. Fluid origination from the external ear canal (Otitis Externa), if the ear drums are intact, will be serous in nature. This helps differentiate the fluid draining from the ears.

4. If you have sinusitis, get a plain Sinus CT done. Balloon Sinuplasty is an option to flush the sinuses and open the natural drainage pathways.

5. Audiiometry will give a fair idea about your hearing loss.

6. The ear canals are delicate and hence it is best to stop the habit of cleaning the ears yourself. Anti-histamines can help reduce the itching. Acid reflux is an aggravating factor.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.