Lips have become very dark because of tanning and tea drinking . Do not smoke. Use sunscreen. Suggest?

My lips have become very dark (almost black), primarily because of sun-tanning and tea drinking, i think. I do not smoke cigarette. I am using melacare forte (4%) to lighten my lips. I have been using it for 2 weeks. Initially it lightened my lips a bit but now i cannot see much effects. In fact, i feel that my lips are becoming darker again. I use sunscreen on my lips 3 times a day and most of the time i remain indoors only. In how much time will it show effects? Can lips become even darker by using melacare? Is there any alternative to it. Kindly guide me.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 5 hours later

You are having hypermelanosis on lips.

There are many causes of hypermelnosis.

Genetic,irritation,allergy,cosmetics,sun rays,anaemia XXXXXXX diseases,drugs..etc

I would like to see photograph of your lips, please post.. whole face, lips and close up of lip.

And I would like to ask few questions in reation with your problem.

Your age?

Any disease you are having?

Any family history of disease like DM,Thyroid dysfunction,Malignancy or any other...

Do you remain in stress? What are you doing?

Any bad habit in past?

Which tooth paste you use?

Any cosmetics you use?

Any medicine you take?

I hope you will reply and send the photos.. ok

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Lips have become very dark because of tanning and tea drinking . Do not smoke. Use sunscreen. Suggest? 11 hours later
My age- 23

I did not have any disease as such. A minor fungal infection (not sure) may have occurred for some time.

No family history of such diseases.

At times i do remain in stress. but that is not the cause, i believe. Because i have noticed this change at the age of 16 only. I used to remain at the roof flying kites for very long durations. I feel that, it is the cause of darkening of lips. Also, i have started to drink a lot of tea (5-8 cups) for about 1-3 years from 15 to 17. At present, i am working as an assistant manager in a XXXXXXX

No bad habits as such in past.

I keep on changing the toothpaste. At present i am using colgate salt. But i feel it is not the reason for it. Because during those days, i did not use to brush very regularly using toothpaste.

Cosmetics- I use suncote as sunscreen, Nivea as moisturiser. I also use almod oil on my lips. At present i am using lipice lip balm too which gives a little pink colour to lips.

I do not take any medicines as such. At age of 15-16, i have taken medicine for filariae. And i take antibiotics and paracetamol whenever required (occasionally).

I am using melacare on my lips now. And i use faceclin cream on my pimples. But i have started using this much later.

As diagnosed by you, i am having hypermelanosis. And melacare is one of the most potent agent to reduce melanin pigment. So, can i expect it to work. Logically it should help in decreasing the melanin pigment. Kindly explain this part too. In how much time should i expect the melacare to work? What precautions do i need to take. I am already using suncote every 3-4 hours on my lips and am moisturing it with almond oil in the evening. Also can melacare darken the lips?

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 6 hours later

Thanks for reply.

I was expecting photograph, but you did not send. I read your history. I did not find any related cause. Most probably, it may be genetic or sunrays induced.

But, one thing I want to tell you that you immediately stop melacare application. Melacare is containing hydroquinone , which may cause toxicity on skin. Dotted depigmentation may occur after long use.

You apply sunscreen, as you apply. Do not rub anything on lips. You apply kojic acid and vitamin C containing cream.

Orally you take vitamin C, vitamin E, glutathion and nicotinic acid.

Treat the lip lightly, not hardly.

Slight color may be tolerable...ok

Do not chew the lips.

Have nutritious food and proper sleep.

Avoid stress.

And remember, black lips are better than white lips .. so, if acceptable no treatment should be taken...

I hope your worries might be reduced.

Thank, if you have query still, you are welcome.

Dr. Ilyas apatel MD