Ask a Dentist   »  

Lips and mouth feel numb. What should I do?

I have noticed that the inside of my lips around my entire my mouth feel numb. I put on the lip gloss that i have been wearing one day and then didn't wear the lip gloss the next day but did not notice a change in the numbness. What should i do?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest that you visit a physician for a thorough evaluation as numbness around the mouth could be an underlying symptom , whose cause is yet to be found. The possibilities could be hypocalcemia( low calcium levels in the blood), vitamin B12 defeciency, abnormal blood sugars, thyroid disorders, neurological disorders, hyperventilation etc.

It is important that you visit your physician , who might be able to do a complete examination including a neurological examination, to make sure there is nothing wrong with the nervous system. After that he / she might send for relevant investigations like complete blood picture, serum electrolytes(sodium, potassium, calcium), Vitamin B12 levels, Thyroid function tests, blood sugars etc. In the meantime avoid alcohol and smoking .If calcium /Vit B12 levels are low, your symptoms might improve once the necessary supplements are taken.
If the cause of numbness is hyperventilation or stress, methods to reduce anxiety and stress might help.

I hope I have answered your question. I would be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a nice day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan