Lipids and glucose test done. What should I do to bring the cholesterol levels to normal?

Hi Doctor
Did my Lipids and Glucose check a week back. Below is the reading:
Glucose Fasting: 128 mg/dl
Glucose 2Hrs post food: 262 mg/dl

Lipid Profile - Fasting
Cholestrol - Total : 209 mg%
Triglyceride serum: 420 mg%
Cholestrol HDL: 31 mg%
Cholestrol LDL: 112 mg%

Haemoglobin 14.4 gm
WBC Total: 9500 /cu mm
Neutrophils: 60
Eosinophils: 5
basophils: 1
lymphocytes: 27
Monocytes: 7
Nucl Red Cells 0.0/100 WBC

Immunoglobulin E (IGE_ 88.8 IU/ML

I have been told that I need to take care as my sugar and Lipids readings are not good. Please suggest what I need to do or medicines that i may need to go for to bring the cholesterol levels to normal. Am I diabetic and do I need to take any medicine for Diabetes, if yes then which medicine i need to go for. Also, want to tell you that i am a smoker and even though I tried my best but was unable to stop it and daily i smoke at least 15 cigrates. Need again your help to get rid of this.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your blood glucose and cholesterol levels are considerably increased.
For treatment of both these conditions, you need to incorporate some dietary and exercise measures in your lifestyle. You also need specific treatment which includes insulin, sulfonylureas, biguanides, thiazolidinediones, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, etc for diabetes and statins for cholesterol lowering.
But these are taken only after a doctor’s guidance and only under prescription after confirming the blood sugar levels at repeated intervals.
Add more fruits and vegetables especially XXXXXXX leafy vegetables to your diet and take less of sugars and sugar XXXXXXX foods, aerated drinks and fats. Try to lose some weight if you are overweight and exercise regularly to prevent diabetes. Take walks during your lunch break and try walking to the close by places rather than using a car.

For treatment of diabetes, in diet, apart from the points mentioned above, Skip the pastries, cakes, fries, and other processed carbs. Fill up instead on carbohydrates that are healthy – fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals and breads. Also add more of fiber to your diet. Consume less than 30 percent of your daily calories as fat, and only 10 percent of that as saturated. Avoid trans-fats as much as possible. Quit smoking and alcohol as early as possible.
Nicotine replacement therapy is the cornerstone for cessation of smoking. This can be provided in the form of nicotine gum or skin patches with specific dosage that will help to provide the nicotine that is gained by smoking and help you quit the habit. But this is a replacement therapy and you should not smoke while on this therapy. Treatment for 3 months duration, will help you quit smoking.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Lipids and glucose test done. What should I do to bring the cholesterol levels to normal? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. Just reading the response, wanted to know if I am diabetic?. If yes then is there any permanent cure or i need to take medicine for rest of my life (a bit worried now). Also, regarding the cholesterol levels, will these levels subside with medicine or this is also life long issue with my health.

Neither my paternal/maternal people have been diagnosed diabetic, then how come my sugar levels are high. Is it because of my lifestyle, eating habits or some thing else. I have read in some medical journal that because of some malignant tumor in body at times the sugar levels will be high. I am worried as I am a frequent smoker and feel some pain in my chest and throat after smoking. what should I do to get this doubt clear. Please suggest what doctor I need to consult and the test that I may need to do, to clear this doubt.

Waiting in anticipation for your response.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Raised blood glucose levels are suggestiove of diabetes. Both diabetes and hypercholesterolemia are life style diseases and can be adequiately controlled with medicines and lifestyle and dietary modifications. You will have to take the medicines on rtegular basis.
The cause of diabetes can be ruled oiut only after further investigations. You can consult a physician or an endocrinologist for proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.