Lipid profile test done. How to lower the cholesterol value? Which specialist should I consult?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Last week I have undergone a Lipid Profile test. Below are the results:
Cholesterol TOTAL: 221
Cholesterol HDL - DIRECT: 44
LDL Cholesterol: 133
VLDL Cholesterol: 44.8
TC/HDL Cholesterol Ratio: 5.1
LDL/HDL Ratio: 3.1

Please let me know if need to:
a. Consult a Cardiologist or a General Physician?
b. To bring the Cholesterol into control do I really have to continue medication (prescribed) for the rest of my life or can if be stopped after the levels are within limits?
c. What are the dietary change that I need to make?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 49 minutes later

Preferably you see a cardiologist if easily accessible as they are likely to be more risk based approach, but even physician would suffice.

If this is first time you have done lipids and not on life style modifications, there is role for diet and exercise for two to three months.

Unlike blood pressure or sugar medicines you don't have to continue these medicines lifelong. Once your target levels are reached, you can manage with diet and exercise if you are regular and sincere to it.

As per diet, you need to have it structured by dietician but simple rule in diet is to avoid all fried and fatty food. Reduce sweets or avoid. Also your total calories need to be limited.

Hope this helps. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Lipid profile test done. How to lower the cholesterol value? Which specialist should I consult? 34 hours later
Thanks Dr.Koregol.
I still have one more question - What is the 'ideal' target levels that I should aim for, given my age?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 35 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

LDL below 100mg/dL is ideal; below 130mg/dL is acceptable.

Similarly HDL above 55mg/dL; total cholesterol below 150mg/dL and triglycerides below 150mg/dL are ideal limits.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.