Lipid profile showed Total Cholesterol-283 mg/dl, Triglycerides-65 mg/dl, HDL-63 mg/dl and LDL-207 mg/d. Suggestions?

I would like to know as my total cholesterol is more than the recommend range, and also my LDL cholesterol is extremely high. The rest is all within range.

Total Cholesterol     283 mg/dl     (< 200)
Triglycerides      65 mg/dl     (<150)
HDL - Cholesterol      63 mg/dl     (>40)
LDL - Cholesterol     207 mg/dl     (Optimal < 100)
Total Chol/HDL-Chol      4.5     (Risk indicated if > 4.5)
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
welcome to healthcare magic,
your total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol is high
you need to start medication like statins.
you should start lifestyle modification like regular exercise, lose weight if you are obese , avoid high cholesterol diet like cheese , butter , non vegetarian like mutton egg yolk.
thank you
Follow-up: Lipid profile showed Total Cholesterol-283 mg/dl, Triglycerides-65 mg/dl, HDL-63 mg/dl and LDL-207 mg/d. Suggestions? 34 hours later
hi doctor, thank you for your reply. Anyway its pretty general. Could you be more specific on each section rather than just pointing out the bad. The way you responded is like im in a pretty serious condition. I exercise very often and im not obese at all. My total body fat is at 13.8%. Please give me a better insight of the overall instead.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 11 hours later
According to the lipid hypothesis, abnormal cholesterol levels (hypercholesterolemia) — actually higher concentrations of LDL particles and lower concentrations of functional HDL particles — are strongly associated with cardiovascular disease because these promote atheroma development in arteries (atherosclerosis). This disease process leads to myocardial infarction (heart attack), stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. Since higher blood LDL, especially higher LDL particle concentrations and smaller LDL particle size, contribute to this process more than the cholesterol content of the HDL particles, LDL particles are often termed "bad cholesterol" because they have been linked to atheroma formation. On the other hand, high concentrations of functional HDL, which can remove cholesterol from cells and atheroma, offer protection and are sometimes referred to as "good cholesterol". These balances are mostly genetically determined, but can be changed by body build, medications, food choices, and other factors.

LDL cholesterol is affected by diet. Knowing which fats raise LDL cholesterol and which ones don't is the first step in lowering your risk of heart disease. In addition to the LDL produced naturally by your body, saturated fat, trans-fatty acids and dietary cholesterol can also raise blood cholesterol. Replacement of saturated fat and trans fat with monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat might help lower LDL cholesterol when eaten as part of a healthy diet.
Limit total fat intake to less than 25–35 percent of your total calories each day;
Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories;
Limit trans fat intake to less than 1 percent of total daily calories;
The remaining fat should come from sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats such as unsalted nuts and seeds, fish (especially oily fish, such as salmon, trout and herring, at least twice per week) and vegetable oils; and
Limit cholesterol intake to less than 300 mg per day, for most people. If you have coronary heart disease or your LDL cholesterol level is 100 mg/dL or greater, limit your cholesterol intake to less than 200 milligrams a day.