Ask a Dentist   »  

Lip and jaw numbness, bump in mouth near main nerve, amphetamine, sweating. Treatment ?

My lip and jaw on the left side has gone numb with some twitching in my left eye. I have a bump on the inside of my mouth where the oral surgeon said is the main nerve. The oral surgeon did a x-ray and said he didnt see anything. I also take prescribed amphetamine which recently i have noticed is making me sweat alot.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The numbness of your lip and jaw may have occurred due to nerve injury or compression.

The bump in the area of main nerve is not necessary to be visible on an X-ray. It can just be a swollen soft tissue swelling like a lymph node. As such you need to get the swelling investigated with FNAC or best if you go for an excision biopsy. This way your pressure symptoms on the nerve will also be relieved and you will know the cause of swelling also.

You can discuss about its excision with your oral surgeon.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Lip and jaw numbness, bump in mouth near main nerve, amphetamine, sweating. Treatment ? 1 hour later
What is FNAC? I am concerned about cancer as I used to use tobacco and I am moderate drinker. Oral surgeon said my gums and mouth look healthy though. I began using Invisalign (braces) in the past couple months also which oral surgeon said may be causing the new growth around the nerve. I also had to use beta blockers after my eye surgery. I have a physical scheduled for 8/1 which will include blood work but am not interested in being surprised and have not been able to find anything that convincing online. I am never able to get all my questions in when I see doctors so I want to cover all my basis and see if you notice something. I apologize I am not meaning to ramble.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

FNAC is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe.
This will confirm the diagnosis as a swelling or swollen neck glands are often caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer or metabolic diseases.

Both FNAC or excision biopsy will help in clarifying your doubts about having a cancer or even a dysplasia.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Lip and jaw numbness, bump in mouth near main nerve, amphetamine, sweating. Treatment ? 3 hours later
so ampethatine use or beta blockers are not a real concern?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Hello again,

Use of amphetamines or beta blockers are not likely to be related to swelling in the jaw or the nerve symptoms that you are having. It is a separate concern.

You can continue taking these medications.

Do not worry.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.