Link between eating dairy products and acne in teenagers?

Is there a link between eating dairy products & acne in teenagers?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

This is a good question that you have asked.

There has been a long going debate on relation between diet and acne.
Earlier it was thought that there is a strong and direct correlation between oily food and acne, but many recent studies have refuted this concept.

As for relation between dairy products and acne, a large study among male patients has in fact shown that consuming "too much" of dairy product leads to an increase in acne.

But mind you it is too much of dairy products. Having two glasses of milk or some butter will have no issues.
So it does not mean that you stop having dairy products if you have acne. It only means that avoid excessive consumption.

In my personal experience, I have never noticed any relationship between diet and acne except for people consuming too much junk food and oily food.

I hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Link between eating dairy products and acne in teenagers? 1 hour later
Are some dairy products worse than others eg is milk worse than yoghurt because of the hormones in the milk?
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 8 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

No, there is no such thing.

There are no hormones in milk.

Yogurt has good bacteria (lactobacillus) that helps in digestion.