Lines appeared on cheek walls of mouth. What should I do to prevent such condition?

Hi doc,

There are two lines on each inside cheek walls of my mouth, which I can feel with my tongue. except that I feel rough skin condition (No Pain) at various parts of mouth such as cheek wall, skin below tongue and skin between teeth and lips.

Could you please guide me what exactly these symptoms are and how can I prevent such mouth condition?

Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through your details and photos uploaded.
The white lines you are describing are called as frictional keratosis.
They occur due to chronic friction of mucosa due to rubbing with upper and lower teeth while closing the jaw.
These line are considered normal and DO NOT indicate any disease.
No specific treatment is required for frictional keratosis and there is no potential for malignant transformation.
You need to treat any jagged tooth ,dental issues you have,avoid tobacco and smoking.Treat any braces or teeth clinching habits,keep good oral hygiene etc.

If raw or roughness is the only symptom then you can apply triamcilonone oral paste for a week or two and they will regress.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.