Lime disease survivor, eyes and hand swelling, mouth yellowing. Is yellowing sign of jaundice?

individual, 10 year lime disease survivor, has swelling (eyes, hands) every morning but now looks a bit
yellow around the mouth, hurt her knee and is now sleeping almost all the time, is eating raw carrots and lentils (has very little income) 40 year old female. The yellow is new, my question is - is yellow always a sign of jaundice? Could be too many carrots? No lime literate doctors here.
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 4 hours later

Yellow discoloration always does not indicate jaundice. Even increase in blood carotene level can lead to yellow discoloration. If you want to confirm whether it is due to jaundice or hypercarotenemia then you should compare color of skin and sclera (layer of eyeball just below conjunctiva).

If both sclera and skin is yellow in color then it is likely that patient has jaundice and if only skin is yellowish and sclera is not, then it is likely that patient has increased carotene level and not jaundice.

You can get it confirmed by getting the liver function test done.

I hope I have answered your query; I will be available for further queries if any.