Lightheadedness, numbness in fingers and feet. Bad distant vision. Had cataract surgery. Symptoms due to surgery?

I am 72 years old and have been experiencing lightheadedness in the mornings. I also have noticed numbness in my fingers and feet as well. I just had cataracts done and these symptoms have worsened. I don't feel this surgery has anything to do with it although my eyes are now so sensitive to light and my far-sightness is realy worse and I hope glasses will take care of that problem. Anyway, the lightheadedness goes away as the day progresses as does the numbness in feet and hands. Thank You.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question . I will do my best to help you.

Lightheadedness on getting out of bed is called postural hypotension or postural
low blood pressure. I can understand how this can be a bit frightening but in fact it should not worry you. When going from the lying position to standing sit for a while before standing up.

If you are on any medication that might be lowering your blood pressure then this needs to be discontinued.

Numbness of hands and feet may be peripheral neuritis. If you have not already done so please have a fasting blood test done to rule out type 2 diabetes.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Lightheadedness, numbness in fingers and feet. Bad distant vision. Had cataract surgery. Symptoms due to surgery? 31 minutes later
My lightheadedness occurs throughout the morning not just when I just get out of bed. Sometimes I have to stop and find a seat right away for fear of fainting.
Thank You
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Thanks for your follow up question. I still think that your lightheadedness is due to low BP. I just hope that you are not on any BP meds. 24 hour blood pressure monitoring might be worth considering.

All your bloods would have been checked when you were having your cataracts done. Otherwise I'd wonder if you might be anaemic.

Please revert again if you have another question.