Lightheadedness and sensation of passing out. Why can I smell strong ammonia?

I often get light headed and feel as though I am going to pass out while this is happening I smell a strong ammonia like smell what is this from?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 26 minutes later

Thanks you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding the light headedness and sensation of passing out with history of migraine headache in the past possibility I can think are vestibular migraine and Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

In addition you have ammonia like smell during these episodes and these are known as olfactory auras. Such kind of olfactory disturbances can occur in migraine XXXXXXX symptoms. A major differential diagnosis to be considered in each case presenting with olfactory symptoms is Dizziness or vertigo is a common complaint among migraineurs, and can be seen in one third of them suffering from migraine. Vertigo usually lasts between between 5 minutes and 1 hour—with or without nausea, vomiting, photophobia, or headache. These symptoms in the setting of a previous personal history or a positive family history of migraine supports the diagnosis of vestibular or vertiginous migraine.

So I personally feel you are probably suffering from Vestibular migraine with XXXXXXX You need to see your Neurologist to exclude the possibility of temporal lobe epilepsy in you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. EEG and MRI of the brain would be required as a part of investigation to exclude seizures. You need to be on medications for migraine to avoid it becoming more severe in the future.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist