Lightheaded, low BP. Stroke has affected speech. Is everything okay?

My mother is 86 years old and is telling me she is lightheaded when rising from a setting position. Asked her to take her BP, reported 88/66 with heart rate of 86. I visited here this AM and the BP was 80/60 with a heart rate of 60. Is there a need to be concerned? She takes a mild BP medication daily. She has likely had a minor stroke within the last year that has mildly affected her hand writing and speach.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations’ regarding what is going on with your mother.

As you have stated and as is your appropriate concern, her blood pressure is on the lower side. There are a couple of concerns when low blood pressure is going on. The first concern is we must rule out possible causes of the low blood pressure besides her medication. The most common cause of this type of thing is a mild infection. I would make sure to have her assessed for a possible pneumonia. If she is otherwise feeling well with no fever or chills infection is more unlikely.

Otherwise I think you will have to discuss her current medications with her blood pressure medication may need to be adjusted. With a blood pressure like you have reported it would certainly explain why she might feel some dizziness especially with changing positions. Also it is very important to consider the fact that she has had a stroke in the past. Her doctor must carefully consider this one adjusting her medications.

I can appreciate that you're very concerned about the health of your mother and I hope my advice and recommendations have proved helpful for you here. Again I thank you for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them here. Otherwise please accept my response.

Dr. Robert