Lightheaded, fatigue, lump in throat, shortness of breath and irregular heartbeat. Any complication?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Ever since yesterday I have been experiencing very strong symptoms of lightheadedness, fatigue, feeling of clogged or lump in throat, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat (and/or) feeling of low blood pressure, cold sensations, numbness in both arms, diarrea, dizziness, and I also feel a strange tingling sensation inside both of my ears. I have been on an anti-deppressant medication and suboxone for over a year now, but I have never felt this way before. My gut instinct is telling me something is not right. Should I see a family doctor or could this be something serious? If so, what should I be tested for? Thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 7 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms appear to be multiple and varied, and hence there could be quite a few possibilities for your problems.
- Abnormal blood pressure
- Abnormal blood sugars (Hyper- or Hypo- glycemia)
- Anemia
- Prodrome of an infection / fever (Some viral fevers and infections can have an initial phase of variable symptoms before the acute phase)
- Anxiety or panic attacks (Often anxiety can present with multiple bodily sensations, feeling of lump in the throat, shortness of breath, palpitations, etc.)

Considering your age, you are less likely to have any risk factors for a serious disease. So, I would suggest that you see your family doctor for a detailed evaluation. This will include:
- A more detailed history
- A complete physical examination, including checking of blood pressure
- Blood / urine tests, as per necessity and clinical findings - like hemoglobin, blood counts, blood sugars, etc.

Keep drinking plenty of fluids and take a bland diet for a few days. Since you have diarrhea, you may be more prone for dehydration and salt loss. So, you can also take Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) frequently. Take adequate rest and avoid physical and mental exertion.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist